Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Looking, Apprehensively, Toward the New Year




"For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning."

~T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

In facing the inevitable second half of the year, I am feeling excited and somewhat apprehensive. I have been reading some great material over this break that all of us "school people" receive, and it is usually at this time that I begin to wonder how to carry this excitement that I feel over to my staff. My boss talks about "sharpening the saw," an analogy he borrowed from Stephen Covey to mean freshen up for the remainder of the year. While I think I have effectively sharpened my saw, I hope others have too. If not, it is up to me as their leader to help people feel refreshed each and every day. So yes, I am feeling a little overwhelmed as I look to the new year. Excited, but cautious. What do I say that will make a difference? Are these things I should be worrying about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Becoming Principal (Snippet #6)

Core Value #2: Perception is Reality (remember that everyone is watching you) IF I HAD REACTED BADLY IN THIS SITUATION, rest assured every...